The Court Hall Museum contains displays and exhibits that illustrate the history of the ‘Antient Town of Winchelsea’.
The museum is housed in a single large room on the first floor of the Court Hall, located in the High Street, which is one of the oldest buildings in the town.
Exhibits include maps, models, pictures, seals, local pottery and items of daily life from the area.
Please see the Museum Guide (PDF) for more details.
The Mayoral Wall Panels from 1295 to the present day
One of our most noteworthy features is the list of Mayors of Winchelsea shown on a series of oak boards. This list, far fuller than that of most towns, is complete from 1430 and is partially complete from 1295 when Mayors first replaced the King’s Bailiffs. The boards are a matter of great pride to the Museum and were presented to the town by G M Freeman. It is here in the Upper Court Hall on Easter Monday each year that new Mayors are elected and take their seat beneath the great roll of their predecessors.
The Museum is located on the first level of the Court Hall and access is via steps. Unfortunately, this would prohibit access to those in wheelchairs, as there is no other entry to the Museum.
Group and School Visits
We welcome group visits of all kinds. For schools we are able to accommodate small groups of up to 15 with an appropriate helper/ child ratio. Teacher packs are available which include a Children’s Guide (PDF), a Teacher’s Answer Sheet, Museum Plan & an Exhibit Guide.
The Museum Shop
A wide range of goods are displayed in the Museum Shop. Books, maps of the town and locality, and a wide range of special souvenirs to attract both young and old.
Exhibitions & Local History
Exhibitions are run throughout the Museum year from May to September.
In 2016 we have a special display commemorating the gallant men from Winchelsea who fought for their country in the Second World War. Supporting this is a special First World War publication which details the full impact on the town life of Winchelsea during the War. Read it at leisure at our Local History table.